Total Pageviews

Thursday, February 3, 2011

Breaking Out

Although I began writing as a youngster, I didn't take it seriously until about twelve years ago. At that time, another author told me it took on average some ten years to pay your dues and find your "break-out" book. To me that was acceptable since nothing comes easily. If it's worth having, it's worth doing well.

Those ten years have come and gone. I've had several books published with electronic publishers but I have yet to find that one elusive story that would make a difference.

Just what is a "break-out" book?

It's one story into which a writer pours their heart and soul and comes out with something readers will have a hard time putting down. It's a story readers highly recommend, talk about with their friends and want to reread.

I can think of a couple authors who fit that description with their first foray into the publishing world. Outlander by Diane Gabaldon, was never meant to see the light of day, never mind print. Her books are read world-wide and still finding new markets. J.K. Rowling is another author who made it big with Harry Potter, a young adult series that got kids reading and inspired other author to write magical tales.

Break-out books are all elusive and an author never knows where or when they might end up with one. Then there are authors who might never find that one book that could catapult them to fame. Until it happens we keep working, improving our craft, and looking for the best ways to promote our work while we meet other struggling writers following the same dream.

Many years ago, a well-known comedian had a signature line he used in reference to the jokes he told. He always said, "I got a million of 'em." The same could apply to writers and the number of story ideas they have. Just think of all the fun, love of craft (and hard work) going into our creative effort.

Who knows...maybe one of those plots you've been playing around with might be just the ticket to writing a break-out book and making a name for yourself.

until then...

1 comment:

Angela Drake said...

The 'break-out' book is something I'm still waiting on, also. I thought it would be the 'book of my heart'. Apparently not. I fear it will be one of the sub-genre's I find myself playing with... far from where I began. hehe

We'll get there Marissa!