Total Pageviews

Tuesday, March 31, 2015

A Review of Elizabeth Chadwick

For the last few months I've been finding my tastes in reading material slowly changing. I generally like reading some paranormal, historical romance, romantic suspense, and my all-time favorite, time  travel. Lately, the plots of many of the books I've read all seem to be too similar. More often than not, several books would be released about the same time, by different authors, but the plots would be so alike I felt as if after reading one, I'd read them all. So I began web surfing for something different.

In my casual search I came across Elizabeth Chadwick. She writes historical fiction and the time is one that has always fascinated me. I read The Winter Mantle. This story begins in 1067 when William the Conqueror takes as hostages the sons of English nobility as an incentive for their good behavior. This was a means the kings used to ensure the nobles didn't rise up against them. If they did rebel, it meant the death of their heirs.

The first part of this story focuses on several hostages, and one in particular, Waltheof of Huntingdon. He is a young man who is a little too easy going and that trait occasionally gets him into trouble. While he means well, he's often too easily swayed to join the wrong cause. Even his marriage to William's niece doesn't always keep him on a straight path.

Personally, I find reading history books or bits of historical facts a bit daunting and boring. I want to be there, experience events through the eyes of the characters and Chadwick does a great job of this. The Winter Mantle is rich in detail and I often felt, while reading, as if I could have been an observer of the events as they occurred. The characters came alive and drew me into their problems. I wanted to cheer them on or, as in the case of Waltheof, give them a "Gibbs" and tell them to 'shape up and fly right.'  A couple times I found myself in tears at what was going on. To me, that's the mark of a fantastic writer.

I admit, I borrowed the book from the library. I tend to do that when I'm looking into a "new to me author." (Chadwick has been around for a few years.) If I don't care for the writing, then I've lost nothing. When I do find something I like, I look to adding more books to my personal library...as if I have the shelf space to spare. Thank goodness for e-books.  I've already been to my favorite bookstore and made a list of all Chadwick's books that are still available. I'm looking forward to adding her works to my "historical fiction library."

If you enjoy historical fiction and reading about the Middle Ages, you can't go wrong with Elizabeth Chadwick's works. If you'd like to know more about her and her books, check out her official website at: www.elizabethchadwick.com

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Advertising of Self-discipline, Advertising of Durability, Advertising of Protection, and Fight Standard: Updated these capabilities to effectively show their length. Fight Standard now shows the launching comprehensive range of the expertise.
Runescape Gold