Total Pageviews

Wednesday, November 25, 2015

Where, Oh Where Has My Little Muse Gone?

Back in August, my muse went on vacation. I didn't mind since everyone needs a break now and again to recharge their batteries. The problem is, she never came back. I thought something might have happened  and even considered posting "Have You Seen..." notices. That would have been a tough move.

Did I work her too hard?  Not likely. The first part of the year was spent self-editing and polishing a story for submission which finally was sent in late spring. During that period, her time was pretty much her own. She had little to offer and eventually didn't have much to say. Maybe I didn't give her enough attention. Sometimes it's hard to say what's not enough or too much. I guess I never found a good balance.

She's had a bad habit of not seeing things through, leaving me with a backlog of unfinished stories and no direction in which to take them. Her beginnings and endings are great. The middles?  Not so good. She might come up with a vague idea to move the story forward but it isn't enough to plot around. So the begin/end of the potential story ends up languishing in a folder waiting for attention. That could be my fault.

I thought she'd be back after Labor Day, ready to toss out some ideas. After all, the best ideas seem to appear when you least expect them, from the most unusual places.

Maybe she's decided that I haven't given her enough credit for what she's done. When we, as authors are interviewed and asked about where our ideas come from, we never say, "My muse came up with that plot. She's quite clever."

 I don't know if that's what she's been thinking and decided it was a good enough reason not to return after her vacation. If it is her reason and she's found a new home, I can honestly say I'm disappointed and I wish her well with her new challenges. I do know it's been a struggle for the last three months to come up with some decent ideas on my own, either to start something new or finish what's been sitting around for who knows how long. (Without her attention to detail, I've lost track of many things).

What I'm not looking forward to is interviewing new applicants for the position. But, I suppose it will have to be done if I expect to finish anything. I admit that too late, I've learned not to under-valuate the worth of a muse. By the beginning of the year, I hope to find one willing to take a chance on a sometimes scatter-brained human.

I've come to the conclusion that muses come and go without notice. Few stay a long while. Maybe there's a muse somewhere out there who is willing to accept on-the-job training, not only in coming up with writing plots but offering suggestions in other projects that have little or nothing to do with writing. We can grow together and share other aspects of creativity.  When it comes to a multi-faceted life, like everything else, you get what you put into it.

Please... don't make me put up those posters.

1 comment:

Pamela Labud said...

Aww! I hope your muse comes back soon and then stays a long, long while!