Total Pageviews

Monday, January 1, 2018

Chilling Out...Literally

With the stroke of a minute hand, one year has ended and  a new one has begun. Do I feel any different? Not really. It's mainly remembering to change the year on any checks I write. It's also knowing winter is only a couple weeks old and the worst is yet to come.

After a gorgeous extended autumn, winter cold has struck early. For the last few days, the temperature has been in the teens or lower. The night wind chills have been in the single digits and it's supposed to continue for at least the next week or two. As much as I hate the extreme cold, I feel bad for Erie, PA. They ended up with fifty inches of snow in thirty-six hours. It's a good reason to hibernate, and an easy goal to keep while Old Man Winter and Jack Frost have their fun.

Mom used to watch the Patriot games with me. She didn't understand anything about the game but she loved to watch them play in the mud and snow. To her, literally getting down and dirty was more fun to watch. She would have loved the game played earlier last month. I don't recall what teams were playing but it snowed during the game and they ended up playing in a snowstorm. The snow was piling up fast and every time someone made a tackle or a player went to ground, the light, fluffy stuff was tossed around. It was like watching a bunch of kids diving into the accumulation.

I have to say, those players were mighty brave yesterday during their final game of the regular season. The temperature was fifteen degrees early on. By the time the game was over, it was a "cool" twelve degrees. Why were they brave? At least a third of the players didn't have long sleeves. They made me cold just watching them.

Since I have no intention of going anywhere for the next couple months, you'd think it would be a good time to set up a few goals for the rest of the year. The last couple years, my goals have pretty much fallen by the wayside.  Only one goal is being met now and even that one is four years overdue. What is it they say? Better later late than never? This queen-size quilt was supposed to be a wedding gift but I ran into problems before I could get it going. Since I started on it a month ago, (I'm stitching blocks by hand) I've been making good progress with half the blocks made. When I get the rest stitched, I can lay them out to decide on the order they'll be put together. If I keep it up, the intended couple just might get their wedding present before their fifth anniversary.

I've decided not to set any other goals since I've done such a poor job of late to keep previous ones. I figure by not setting more, then I won't be disappointed when I don't complete them. The possibilities are simmering on the mental back burner. If I do get any of them done then I'll be pleasantly surprised. So I guess THE goal would be to try to get some things done that have been waiting forever for attention.

In the meantime, I'll do my best not to become a popsicle while rooting for the Patriots as they go for an unprecedented #6.  

Here's hoping you achieve whatever goals you set for yourself in 2018.

No comments: