Total Pageviews

Thursday, July 18, 2013

Meet My New Heroine

My name is Topaz McAllister. Ever since I was quite young, I've worked by my father's side, learning all I can to run the ranch. Pa was never blessed with a son to take over and of his three daughters, I'm the only one who wants to carry on his legacy.

Well, maybe not the only one. My half-sister Emma has her own dreams and with some careful planning, they could come true. I intend to do what I can to help her, but the time isn't yet right.  Pa doesn't think it's a good idea while Victoria, Emma's mother, is determined Emma should be a fine lady. If she only knew...

We've had a few hot days and today is the worst. Being out in the open the sun beats down on you relentlessly. The water in my canteen is warm and tastes terrible but I can't go without. Now that I'm thinking about it I know of a place that is pleasantly cool. A place only one other person knows about since he's the one who discovered it.

After all these years I still kind of miss Jesse but at the same time I still feel angry when I think about him. We were thick as thieves but about ten years ago he left the ranch and never came back. I'm not sure I could forgive him for leaving without saying goodbye. That doesn't matter now. Maybe someday I'll be able to think about him and smile at the memories.

Just up ahead I can hear water rushing and roaring. There's a waterfall that gives off a fine spray and it feels so good on hot days. Don't get me wrong, the ranch hands know about this place, but they don't know what's beyond it. I do.

There's a pathway made of stones that disappear in the pounding water. The foam makes the stones slippery and you have to be very careful. You could slip and fall, and drown before you even knew what was happening. My cow pony is close enough to the water to get a drink and there's plenty of grass to chomp on. I can trust him not to go anywhere. In the meantime, I'm taking that slippery path to a cooler spot.

You learn to respect the fall and the power it holds. Moving carefully I step along the stones until I can squeeze behind the watery curtain to the small cave it hides. There's an immediate difference in the temperature. It must be a good twenty degrees cooler in here. The fact that it's dark helps too. The earth is slightly damp but it feels good as well. There's a pool of water a little further back and it's cold enough to ease a parched throat. After I take a drink and fill my canteen I breathe a deep sigh of contentment and relax.

I can't believe I dozed off like that. From the angle of the sun it must be late afternoon. I hate to leave this cool cave to go back into the heat, but there's no help for it. There's work to be finished. I have to admit I feel much better having spent some time here. One of these days I'll have to come back to re-explore the secrets of this place. Who knows, maybe a few of the dreams I've had here will come true.

No comments: